Colliers Engineering & Design seeks a highly motivated individual to join our Geotechnical group. As a Geotechnical Engineer, you will bring your expertise and unique solutions to highly visible and challenging projects. You will also work in a team of dedicated Project Managers, Principals and other Engineers. If you have a solid understanding of civil engineering principles with a geotechnical focus, and a desire to work on multi-disciplinary projects, apply today! Travel may be required with this position.
The successful candidate will work in applying geotechnical engineering techniques, procedures, and principles on a variety of engineering projects such as buildings, bridges, tunnels and landfills. Candidate should have experience with project management and leadership roles, full understanding and experience in Soil Identification and Classification and preparation of logs of borings and test pits, a thorough understanding of soil mechanics fundamentals such as effective stress, shallow and deep foundations, slope stability, earth structures, knowledge and experience in instrumentation, construction monitoring, geotechnical investigations and soils laboratory testing, conducting geotechnical and stormwater management investigations, including soil and rock sampling. The candidate will reduce, analyze, and report field, instrumentation, geological, and/or geotechnical data, as well as contribute to proposals and cost estimates, support preparation of reports and other client deliverables.
This position will require the ability to work both independently and in teams, and to be skilled in thinking innovatively to provide efficient solutions to complex geotechnical problems. The candidate shall also have experience in quality control on earthwork construction projects.
• Responsible for all phases of project management for the implementation of geotechnical explorations, engineering analyses & recommendations, and construction consultation, including but not limited to client interaction, proposal preparation, budget and scheduling, billing, technical oversight, report preparation, internal QA/QC, and project scope delivery and execution
• Lead strategic business development efforts by way of maintaining and strengthening existing client relationships (internal and external), as well as identify and develop new ones. Provide guidance and supervision for junior staff and creating a challenging and engaging work environment.
• Participate or lead field assignments including observation of geotechnical explorations
• Review and assign field and laboratory soil testing
• Perform geotechnical analyses including bearing capacity evaluations, stability evaluations, support of excavation design, and seepage analyses
• Developing design of foundations, support of excavations, retaining walls, embankments, dams, and other geotechnical systems
• Preparing engineering calculation packages
• Prepare technical specifications, design drawings, and construction submittals for compliance with contract requirements and design assumptions
• Participate in construction observation and special inspections
• Communicate effectively and efficiently with contractors, clients, and team members
• Some weekend and overtime work may be required; limited overnight and interstate travel may be required with this position.
• 5-12 years’ experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline is required; Civil Engineering preferred; Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering is a plus
• 3+ years’ experience in geotechnical field inspection and office engineering
• Field experience should include: observation and logging of test borings and test pits; performance of infiltration testing; observation and logging of pile load testing and production pile installations; observation of fill placement and subgrade preparation; observation of retaining wall construction; etc.
• Office geotechnical engineering experience should include shallow and deep foundation design, retaining wall design and slope stability analysis
• Must have experience in preparing geotechnical reports, leading and directing a technical team and interacting with clients
• PE certification or ability to obtain within 6 months is required
• Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, REVIT, and other CAD platforms is a plus
• Experience or academic training with geotechnical software such as SEEP/W, SLOPE/W, SETTLE3D, DeepFND, L-Pile and other analysis software is preferred
• Soils laboratory experience is a plus
• Following certifications a plus: Nuclear Density Gauge Operator; American Concrete Institute (ACI) Level I Inspector; and/or Related certifications from ICC.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, providing strong team leadership and effective project delivery
• Good communication, planning, time management, scheduling and organizational skills
• Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to and from project sites with a valid Driver’s License and clean driving record
• Drug testing may be required
At Colliers Engineering & Design, our people are our most important resource. That’s why we are committed to providing all our employees with a safe, comfortable work environment, potential for career advancement, and the ability to impact society through their projects as well as Company sponsored activities.
This dedication begins with supporting a work life balance through a generous compensation package that includes: company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid pregnancy disability leave; short- and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; a company-matched 401(k)/Roth; paid time off that includes parental and military leave; employee referral and professional license bonuses and a straight time policy that compensates exempt employees for billable hours worked in excess of 40 billable hours within a work week.
We have also created an internal culture that provides the resources and technology needed to encourage personal and professional growth opportunities through reimbursement for education; a free in-house resource for hundreds of educational and self-enrichment courses; mentorship program; wellness program; Women’s Organization and ongoing philanthropic opportunities.
Apply today to learn how you can join our team of professionals, so we can help you Accelerate Your Success!